CO Day 2021: Conscientious Objection in Turkey
On this page, you are able to reach a number of useful resources on conscientious objection in Turkey. We will continue to update this page during April and May with new content and resources.
Reports and articles
See here the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers' decision in June 2020 urging Turkey to recognise the rights of conscientious objectors. See a joint report submitted to the Committee of Ministers by a number of organisations including WRI here.
Video reports by conscientious objectors in Turkey
See here a video by Conscientious Objection Association (VR-DER) released on International Conscientious Objection Day last year.
Video statements (with English subtitles) by a number of conscientious objectors from Turkey
- Merve Arkun, Turkey: Conscientious objection: anti-war action and rejection of male-dominated codes
- Ercan Aktaş, Turkey/France: I came to France in October 2017 and never returned
- Halil Savda, Turkey/Cyprus: I dream of a nonviolent and free world
- Hüseyin Civan, Turkey: I reject conscription and war as an antimilitarist and anarchist
- Beran Mehmet İşçi, Turkey/Germany: My asylum case as conscientious objector is regarded as non-political