Countering the Militarisation of Youth - preliminary conference programme
This programme is not final. But it gives an overview of the topics that will be discussed at the conference from 8-10 June 2012. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions.
Friday, 8 June 2012
7:00pm: Begin of the study conference.
Facilitation: Andreas Speck, War Resisters' International, and Monty Schädel, DFG-VK, Germany
Welcome and introductions
Inspiring presentations from different parts of the world on experiences related to the militarisation of youth.
- Boro Kitanoski, Peace Action, Macedonia
- Jonna Schürkes, Informationsstelle Militarisierung, Germany
- Sahar Vardi, AFSC, Israel
8:30pm: Small groups
The presentations will be followed by small group discussions, mapping the militarisation of youth in their region(s).
9:30pm: Feed back to plenary
10:00pm: End of Friday programme
Saturday, 9 June 2012
Morning: Analysing militarisation
9:00am: Panel: Analysing militarisation from different perspectives:
- Andreas Speck, War Resisters' International: A queer/gender perspective on militarisation
- Michael Schulze von Glaßer: Public spaces and military culture, including 'militainment'
- Emma Sangster, Forces Watch, UK: Education and recruitment
- Military and public spaces (Facilitators: Diana Dolev & Ruti Kantor)
- Militainment (Facilitator: Michael Schulze von Glaßer)
- Military and education (Facilitator: Ralf Willinger, terre des hommes, Germany)
- Queer/gender and militarism (Facilitator: Andreas Speck)
- Recruitment of immigrants and low income youth (Facilitator: David Gee)
12:00pm: Reporting back to plenary
13:00pm: Lunch break
Afternoon: Resisting the militarisation of youth
In the afternoon, we make the switch from analyising militarisation to sharing experiences of resistance.
14:30pm: Panel: Resisting the militarisation of youth - experiences
- Lena Sachs, Campaign "Schulfrei für die Bundeswehr" Baden-Würtemberg, Germany: Resistance within educational settings (tbc)
- Kelly Dougherty, Iraq Veterans Against War, USA: Conscientious objection and veterans
- Cattis Laska and/or Hanns Molander, ofog, Sweden: Resistance of queer people against recruitment
- Queer resistance (Facilitator(s): Cattis Laska and/or Hanns Molander)
- Resistance in educational settings (Facilitator: Kai-Uwe Dosch and Sarah Roßa)
- Veterans (Facilitator: Kelly Dougherty)
- Direct action against the militarisation of youth (Facilitator: Cecil Arndt)
- Child rights (Facilitators: Ralf Willinger, Helen Kearney, Geneva)
17:00pm: Reporting back to the plenay
19:00pm: Countering the Militarisation of Youth in Latin America
- Dan Contreras, Chile
- Jorge Velez, Red Juvenil de Medellin, Colombia
- Rafael Uzcategui, El Libertario, Venezuela
In the evening, there will be time for networking, or more workshops, if there is interest.
09:00am: Bringing it all together: networking against the militarisation of youth
Facilitation: Christine Schweitzer
On Sunday, the discussions of the days before will hopefully lead to some concrete ideas and proposals for follow-up. It is therefore presently left very open how it will be structured. Open Space is one of the methods suggested.
German, English, and Spanish are the three conference languages. Translation will be available from and into all three languages.