ISRAEL: CO Ariel Levin released and re-arrested
War Resisters' International learned today that the Israeli conscientious objector Ariel Levin was released from Military Prison No 6 yesterday, after serving a 28 day sentence, but ordered to report at the induction base on the same day, where he was sentenced to further 28 days of imprisonment following his refusal to being recruited.
Ariel Levin was first imprisoned on 12 August 2001, when he reported at the induction base. He was sentenced to 28 days imprisonment, and was imprisoned in Military Prison No 4. On 21 August he was transferred to Military Prison No 6.
In August, prior to his imprisonment, Ariel Levin declared:"The coming Sunday, on 12 August 2001, I will probably be imprisoned in military prison because I refuse to be conscripted to the Israeli army, as doing so would oppose my conscience.
I was born and raised in South Africa during the Apartheid regime. The repression of the blacks which I witnessed during that period, became a basis for my human and non-violent ideals today.Today, after 8 years of living in Israel and studying Israeli history I have come to realise that the Israeli army practices inhumane and violent tactics on its way to peace.
Therfore I am not willing to take any part whatsoever or contribute in any way to the Israeli army or any army (I do not believe in using any sort of violence in order to achieve any goal)."
War Resisters' International again calls for the immediate release of Ariel Levin, and for protest letters to the Israeli authorities.War Resisters' International calls on peace and human rights activists to send letters of support to Ariel Levin:
Ariel Levin (personal number 7204992), Military Prison No. 4, Military Postal Code 02507, IDF, Israel.
Andreas Speck, War Resisters' International
LIST OF ADDRESSES
Military Attorney General,Military postal number 9605, IDF, Israel. Fax +972-3-569-43-70
Lt. Gen. Shaul Mofaz,IDF Chief of Staff,Ha-Qirya,Tel-Aviv,Israel. Fax: +972-3-569-55-94
Mr. Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, Minister of Defence, Ministry of Defence, 37 Kaplan st., Tel-Aviv 61909, Israel. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: +972-3-696-27-57 / +972-3-691-69-40 / +972-3-691-79-15
Mr. Ariel Sharon,Prime Minister Prime Ministers' Office, Qiriat David Ben-Gurion Jerusalem, Israel. e-mail: email@example.comFax: +972-2-566-48-38 / +972-2-651-26-31
Addresses of Israeli media:
- Ma'ariv: 2 Karlibach st. Tel-Aviv 67132 Israel Fax: +972-3-561-06-14 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yedioth Aharonoth: 2 Moses st. Tel-Aviv Israel Fax: +972-3-608-25-46
- Ha'aretz (Hebrew): 21 Schocken st. Tel-Aviv, 61001 Israel Fax: +972-3-681-00-12
- Ha'aretz (English edition): 21 Schocken st. Tel-Aviv, 61001 Israel Fax: +972-3-512-11-56 e-mail: email@example.com
- Jerusalem Post: POB 81 Jerusalem 91000 Israel Fax: +972-2-538-95-27 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Jerusalem Report: Fax: +972-2-537-94-89
- Radio (fax numbers): Kol-Israel +972-2-531-33-15 and +972-3-694-47-09 Galei Tzahal +972-3-512-67-20
- Television (fax numbers): Channel 1 +972-2-530-15-36 Channel 2 +972-2-533-98-09