Support Maikel Nabil Sanad
- EGYPT: War Resisters' International welcomes the overdue release in Cairo of pacifist blogger Maikel Nabil, press release, 26 January 2012
- EGYPT: Imprisoned pacifist blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad escalates hunger strike after sentencing, co-alert, 20 December 2011
- EGYPT: Imprisoned pacifist blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad sentenced to two years' imprisonment, co-alert, 15 December 2011
- EGYPT: Military court set retrial date of blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad on day 57 of his hunger strike, press release, 13 October 2011
- EGYPT: Imprisoned blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad to be re-tried, but not released. De-facto death sentence after 50 days of hunger strike, press release, 11 October 2011
- Appeal hearing for Egyptian pacifist and conscientious objector, press release, 8 September 2011
- Call for an International Day of Action for Egyptian Pacifist Maikel Nabil Sanad - 2 September 2011
- Download flier for International Day of Action
Imprisoned: Maikel Nabil Sanad in Egypt
Conscientious objector, critic of the military and blogger needs support
Write Maikel Nabil Sanad a solidarity postcard !
Send a protest eMail to the Egyptian Minister of Defense !
(15/06/2011) Maikel Nabil Sanad is a conscientious objector, a critic of the military and a blogger. On 10 April 2011 he was sentenced by an Egyptian military court to three years imprisonment for reporting about ongoing human rights violations and political influence of Egyptian military during, and after the revolution (...more). The prison sentence was pronounced in absence of his lawyer, friends and family. (...more)
The trial against Maikel Nabil Sanad violates several basic human rights: The freedom of opinion and expression; and the right to a fair trial according to article 14 and 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The newly approved interim Constitution in Egypt also guarantees the right to freedom of expression and to freedom of the press.
"Maikel Nabil Sanad was trying to deconstruct the myth that the army stands and stood with the people of Egypt during the revolution", declared the solidarity group Free Maikel Nabil. "The army actively arrested and tortured opposition activists, and this continues to this day. Sadly, his own arrest only proves his point."
Please write to Maikel Nabil Sanad. Every letter signifies important support in prison. Every letter signifies a protest against the military as well, and in this way also a form of protection. You can send your message to Maikel Nabil Sanad online through our online campaign. We will then forward the message for you. Letters can also be sent directly to: Maikel Nabil Sanad, El-Marg prison, El-Kalag, El-Khanka, Qalyubeya, Egypt.