1st December is Prisoners for Peace Day. For over 60 years, War Resisters' International have, on this day, made known the names and stories of those imprisoned for actions for peace. Many are conscientious objectors, in gaol for refusing to join the military. Others have taken nonviolent actions to disrupt preparation for war.
This day is a chance for you to demonstrate your support for those individuals and their movements, by writing to those whose freedom has been taken away from them because of their work for peace.
While WRI has a permanent Prisoners for Peace list, which we make a special effort to update for Prisoners for Peace Day on December 1st.
We invite you to:
- Put aside some time on December 1st, or a day close to it, to send cards that express your solidarity. You can find the names and address here: http://www.wri-irg.org/inprison, or you can download the list as a pdf file below
- Get your friends, peace group, class, faith or community group together and organise a card-writing session;
- Set up a stall in your town centre, perform a bit of street theatre, or do whatever else it takes to attract attention and interest.
- Britain: Card writing drop-in session at the Merseyside C.N.D
Friday 29th November: 'Everybody is welcome to come in to the office between 12 – 3 at 151 Dale Street, L2 2AH and to write a card. We look forward to seeing you.'
More info: http://www.mcnd.org.uk/
- Korea: World Without War are holding an event on November 30th Saturday, 17:00 at Space Mindle(Mapo, Seoul) It will be a letter night with poems and songs for Prisoners for Peace all over the world!
See http://www.withoutwar.org/?p=8382 for more info.
- Germany: Solidarity with Prisoners for Peace
Card-Sending Party of DFG-VK Mainz
Friday, 13th December 2013, 19 h, Rochusstr. 10
with live music, films and pictures, snacks and drinks, and a surprise guest
More information: www.dfg-vk-mainz.de
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are planning an event for Prisoners for Peace Day and we will add it here!
More information, visit: /campaigns/prisoners_for_peace