ISRAEL: Nineth prison term for conscientious objector Alex Kohn

en

Conscientious objector Alex
Kohn (ISR14726) has been sentenced to a ninth prison term of 14 days on
26 October 2005. He has already spent 150 days in military prison.
Alex Kohn is one of the initiators of the Shministim letter. In his own
refusal letter,
he wrote:

"The occupation is not right. It is the result of policy
and not imposed by circumstances. The means employed in its framework
are also not right. The extent and power of its ramifications for the
Palestinians and for the Israelis cannot be grasped. It is therefore
unacceptable by any moral standard. Because one cannot serve in the
army without taking part in the occupation, I cannot, in good
conscience, enlist. In recent years I have been an activist for a more
just society generally, and for the end of the occupation in
particular. I cannot set aside my vision and enlist in a system that I
have come out against. Just as I adhere to natural nutrition in order
to avoid taking part in financing the exploitation of animals that I
stand against, similarly I cannot take part in the policy of occupation
and ghettoization. I cannot shoot and cry, talk about morality and
stand at a checkpoint, oppose oppression and drive a bulldozer. I see
the duty to avoid serving the occupation as a comprehensive moral duty,
and therefore I joined friends in drafting the new "Letter of the
Shministim" that announces publicly our unwillingness to take part in
the occupation and calls on other youth to consider and to do as we
have done."

Uri Natan (ISR14762) has been sentenced to a third prison term of 21
days on 30 October 2005. He has so far spent 28 days in prison.

War Resisters'
International calls for letters of protest to the
Israeli authorities, and Israeli embassies abroad. An email letter can
be sent at /co/alerts/20051103a.html.

War Resisters' International calls for the immediate release of
conscientious objectors Alex Kohn and Uri Natan, and an end
to the repeated imprisoned conscientious objectors.

Andreas Speck
War Resisters' International
Addresses

Shaul Mofaz

Minister of Defence,
Ministry of Defence,
37 Kaplan st.,
Tel-Aviv 61909,
Israel
e-mail: sar@mod.gov.il or pniot@mod.gov
Fax: +972-3-696-27-57 / +972-3-691-69-40 / +972-3-691-79-15

Commander of Military Prison No 4
Military Prison No 4
Military Postal Code 02507
IDF, Israel
Fax: +972-3-957-52-76

Commander of Military Prison No 6
Military Prison No 6
Military postal number 01860,

IDF, Israel.
Fax: +972-4-869-28-84

Addresses of Israeli embassies can be found at
http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/israel1.htm
Addresses of Israeli media:

Ma'ariv:
2 Karlibach st.
Tel-Aviv 67132

Israel
Fax: +972-3-561-06-14
e-mail: editor@maariv.co.il

Yedioth Aharonoth:
2 Moses st.
Tel-Aviv
Israel
Fax: +972-3-608-25-46

Ha'aretz (Hebrew):
21 Schocken st.
Tel-Aviv, 61001
Israel
Fax: +972-3-681-00-12

Ha'aretz (English edition):
21 Schocken st.
Tel-Aviv, 61001

Israel
Fax: +972-3-512-11-56
e-mail: letters@haaretz.co.il

Jerusalem Post:
P.O. Box 81
Jerusalem 91000
Israel
Fax: +972-2-538-95-27

e-mail: news@jpost.co.il or letters@jpost.co.il

Jerusalem Report:
Fax: +972-2-537-94-89

Radio (fax numbers):
Kol-Israel +972-2-531-33-15 and +972-3-694-47-09
Galei Tzahal +972-3-512-67-20

Television (fax numbers):
Channel 1 +972-2-530-15-36
Channel 2 +972-2-533-98-09