TURKEY: Conscientious objector Mehmet Tarhan arrested

en

Turkish conscientious objector Mehmet Tarhan (TK14724) has been arrested today at 5am in the morning in a hotel in Basmane, a district of Izmir, where he went to work at a book fair. He was taken to a police station and held there until the military recruitment office opened. He was then brought to the recruitment office, and asked to sign papers to be sent to a military unit. Mehmet Tarhan replied: "You brought me here by force. I am a conscientious objector and won't sign anything." He was subsequently asked to write a statement that he is a conscientious objector. He replied: "I will not write or sign anything. You brought me here by force and you should solve the problem you created yourself." As a result, the former protocol was extended with a supplementary protocol, stating that he refused to sign both of them. In addition, the recruitment officers called for their superiors. Three higher officers appeared on the scene. While Mehmet Tarhan was until then allowed to sit in the garden and to smoke, he was now "attached" to a recruit, who was told that his service would be nullified if Mehmet Tarhan would escape. The recruitment office also called the police, and requested a squad to guard Mehmet Tarhan. Three police were assigned to that task. Later gendarmes (military police) were summoned to take over Mehmet Tarhan and to bring him to a military training unit in Tokat, to which he was hurriedly reassigned (he had originally been assigned to a military unit in Samsun). Mehmet Tarhan refused to cooperate, and was handcuffed and pushed into a car. It is not clear where he will be brought. Mehmet Tarhan declared that he is now on hunger strike.

War Resisters' International is concerned about the treatment of Mehmet Tarhan, and fears for his health and safety. He is at risk of physical abuse by the military police.

War Resisters' International calls for letters of protest to the Turkish authorities, and Turkish embassies abroad. Protest emails should be sent to the General Staff, email gnkur@tsk.mil.tr . A protest email can be sent at http://wri-irg.org/co/alerts/20050408a.html .

War Resisters' International calls for the immediate release of Mehmet Tarhan.

Andreas Speck
War Resisters' International

Archives of co-alert can be found at http://wri-irg.org/news/alerts